lionsahead asked: Hi, can you tell when Clint and Jessica broke up? I just started reading Infinity and they have recently broken up (which I think is pretty sucky, since I really liked them as a couple), but I don’t know in which issue of which title that happened.
Jessica and Clint seem pretty simple, at face value. Circa Avengers Volume 4, Jessica still feels like a newcomer among the Avengers, and Clint’s definitely a part of the old guard. They’d gone through similar things during the New Avengers era and had been part of one team long enough to be familiar with one another. There was a lot of common ground between them, and Jim McCann hinted at it way back in Hawkeye & Mockingbird.
Jessica: But it’s not me who’s got you wandering this giant tower, rummaging for comfort food at three in the morning. Haven’t seen Bobbi around for a few days. Wanna talk about it?
Clint: Not really. Thanks, though. Really.
Jessica: Any time. Seriously. Swap war stories, or, whatever. I think we could both use it.
Clint: Yeah… probably.
It’s no trouble at all. I have a general list of recommendations here, and you can also check that tag for other recs.
Generally, the easiest place to start pre-Fraction is McCann’s work with Hawkeye— New Avengers: the Reunion, Hawkeye & Mockingbird, and Hawkeye: Blindspot. The first two are among my favorite arcs for Clint.
Jen Van Meter’s Avengers Solo is also relatively new and accessible. If you’re interested in more classic stories, I’d recommend looking into Hawkeye volume 1 and the West Coast Avengers omnibi that were recently re-released.
Clint’s time with the Thunderbolts is harder to track down but worth the read, and you can also track his time through the Avengers if you’re interested in him more in a team setting.
Preview for Hawkeye #18, by Matt Fraction and Annie Wu. On sale this Wednesday!
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • LEINIL FRANCIS YU (A/C)
ORIGINAL SIN tie-in!
• Propelled fifty years into the future, the Avengers come face-to-face with the legacy of their actions!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
SECRET AVENGERS #4
ALES KOT (W)
MICHAEL WALSH (A)
Cover by TRADD MOORE
VARIANT COVER BY MICHAEL WALSH
• The Fury reappears inside the Kowloon Walled City — which is deep inside the Chinese territory. Who you gonna call?
• No-one, but Nick Fury, Hawkeye and a bunch of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents come anyway. Problems? You bet. The Kowloon gangs want The Fury as well.
• On the Helicarrier, someone dies. The ground is not steady. Things escalate.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
MATT FRACTION (W)
ANNIE WU (A)
Cover by DAVID AJA
The Finale, Part 1:
• David. Clint. Barney. The Building. The Tracksuit Draculas. The Clown.
• Ever seen “Rio Bravo?” Check it out, it’s pretty good.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
Solicited for June— Part I of “The Finale.” Hmm…
That girl thinks she’s the queen of the neighboorhood—
I got news for you, she is!
Hawkeye, my favorite babe.
SAVE THE EMPIRE, Part One
The all-new Secret Avengers are ready to get started. Are they going to be the world’s most effective secret squad? Or will their personal issues tear them apart? U-DECIDE! Three missions kick off at the same time: one in the space, one on the ground…and one in the air. And no one’s ready. Except for the attackers. Russian spa. Helicarrier. Space station. Falling satellites. A hired hitman with nothing to lose. The Fury. WAIT. Yes. THE FURY. Why is Hawkeye still around? And why are these people chasing him? Why are Black Widow and Spider Woman in a Russian spa? Do questions in teasers excite you? RUN THE MISSION, DON’T GET SEEN, SAVE THE WORLD. NOW!
Also on sale next Wednesday: Secret Avengers #1, by Ales Kot and Michael Walsh.
• Who could forget that time when Clint Barton let his neighbor’s kids watched a holiday cartoon at his place?
• At long last THIS ISSUE is pretty much the cartoon they all watch. YOU’RE WELCOME.
• A very special holiday HAWKGUY that at long last lets legendary letterer CHRIS ELIOPOLOUS flex his astounding cartooning muscles in our pages. Matt and Matt do their regular jobs though. Maybe David will letter it? Probably not.
Hawkeye #17, on sale this Wednesday!